Manufacturing in Fife
This section is designed to provide information for manufacturing companies in Fife. Here you can find out how to access advice and support to grow your business and keep up to date with what's happening in the sector.
Fife Council works closely with other support organisations including Business Gateway, Scottish Manufacturing Advisory Service (SMAS), Scottish Engineering and Scottish Development International (SDI) to encourage and support the manufacturing sector in Fife. It is well recognised that a strong manufacturing sector is crucial to sustainable economic recovery.
As part of an ongoing 'Manufacturing Action Plan' (the current Manufacturing Operating Plan can be seen by clicking HERE) we are keen to encourage and support development in current and new markets at home and overseas.
** Click for information about CENSIS 'Internet of Things' Partnership Opportunity**
Exhibitions and Trade Shows
Fife Council's Market Development Programme is designed to help businesses identify and exploit opportunities in new and existing markets. It offers a practical and effective way for you to take part in exhibitions, trade shows, learning journeys or trade missions. Attending such events can help market your goods and services, raise your company's profile and meet existing customers while targeting new ones.
To find out more about the programme and attending events or trade shows, download an information leaflet or contact Pamela Stevenson on 03451 55 55 55 ex 473821 or email
Forthcoming Market Development Programme events include:
- Offshore Europe 2015 - 8-11 Sept 2015, AECC, Aberdeen - offshore oil & gas exploration, drilling, fabrication, support services and key issues across the upstream oil & gas and energy sector.
- DSEI -15-18 Sept 2015, London Excel - Defence & Security International Equipment Exhibition.
- Advanced Engineering UK - 4-5 Nov 2015, NEC Birmingham - the UK's largest annual advanced engineering trade show and conference.
- Southern Manufacturing - 9-11 Feb 2016, Farnborough - the most comprehensive trade show for advanced engineering, manufacturing solutions, innovations and education.
- Eco-Build - 8-10 Mar 2016, London Excel - One of the world's largest events for ecological design, sustainable contruction & environmental protection.
For more information about attending any of the above events, please contact Kieran Hunter on 03451 55 55 55 ext442650 or
For details of the full current programme of workshops and seminars for manufacturing businesses, covering topics like sales and marketing, skills, finance and UK and international trade email
. Events are open to all manufacturing businesses in Fife.
Sources of Business Advice and Support
- Scottish Manufacturing Advisory Service provides expert advice, one-to-one support, training and events for manufacturing businesses of all sizes throughout Scotland. Click HERE to sign up for its regular newsletter with updates on our products and services that offer help to manufacturing businesses in Scotland.
- Business Gateway provides practical help and advice on setting up, sustaining or growing your business. Its Expert Help Programme provides support for commercially viable businesses that currently fall outwith the Scottish Enterprise criteria for support. This service provides a specific focus on business development such as product or process improvements, environmental or market development and investor readiness. To find out how to apply, call: 01592 858333 or email: www.bgateway.com
- Fife Council's Supplier Development Programme provides support to Fife businesses by raising awareness of the opportunities for SMEs from the public sector, increasing business readiness to tender and by assisting SMEs in accessing tender opportunities.
- Scottish Enterprise helps companies to raise their sights and ambition, and offers grants, loans and equity investment to ambitious businesses looking to grow, develop and export.
- Scottish Development International helps Scottish-based companies to develop international trade. Contact a Smart Explorer Adviser to get FREE one-to-one support or access FREE exporting training support up to the value of £1,000 by joining SDI's Smart Explorer skills programme - an ambitious new international trade skills programme designed to increase exporting skills and knowledge amongst Scottish businesses.
- Scottish Engineering provides assistance to Scotland’s manufacturing employers with all aspects of employment.
- Fife Chamber of Commerce offers a wide range of business products and services, whatever type and size of business you are.
- The manufacturers' organisation, EEF, provides advice and support to businesses and lobbies on behalf of the industry.
- RETrieve Scotland provides funding from Zero Waste Scotland for incorporating or increasing the use of recyclates in production processes.
- Santander UK's Breakthrough Programme seeks to identify the best entrepreneurial companies in the UK and help them achieve their full potential. Over the next few years the company will invest around £200 million in fast-growth small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The programme is aimed at businesses that have advanced well beyond the start-up stage to achieve a turnover of between £500,000 and £10 million per annum while posting growth of 20% or more in turnover, proﬁt or employment.
The following publications, newsletters and articles provide up to date information on current trends and opportunities:
Recent reports by the manufacturers' organisation EEF:
Invest for Growth
Route to Growth
Skills for Growth
Scottish Engineering's Quarterly Reviews - December 2013 and March 2014
A Landscape for the Future of High Value Manufacturing in the UK - a study conducted for the Technology Strategy Board
Aluminium Federation Market Report Oct 2013
MakeIt – The Scottish Manufacturing Service’s newsletter
SMEs – How to Grow Your Business with the Ministry Of Defence
A Guide to Off-shore Wind and Oil and Gas Capability
Made in America, Again. Why Manufacturing Will Return to the US
New markets, new ideas: How exporting fosters innovation and growth (UK Trade and Investment)
China Economy: An Update on China’s Economic Policies – October 2011 can be found on the UK Trade and Investment website by clicking here
Components in Electronics – an online magazine providing industry, company, technology and product news