Manufacturing in Fife
This section is designed to provide information for manufacturing companies in Fife. Here you can find out how to access advice and support to grow your business and keep up to date with what's happening in the sector.
Manufacturing Action Plan
Fife Council's Economic Development Team is delivering an Action Plan outlining a programme of activity designed to help tackle some of the issues currently facing manufacturing companies in Fife. A copy of the Manufacturing Operating Plan for April 2013 - March 2014 can be seen by clicking HERE.
For further information on current and planned activity contact Pamela Stevenson – tel: 08451 555555 ex 473821, email:
- Scottish Business Trade Missions run by Scottish Development International offer you an excellent platform to visit an export market, to conduct market research, appoint an agent or distributor or to visit existing clients. Participants are currently being recruited for the 2013 programme of trade missions:
- USA and Canada Trade Mission, 2-9 April 2013 (visiting New York and Toronto)
- Brazil Trade Mission, 3-7 June (visiting Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro)
- China Trade Misson, 9 -16 Sept (visiting Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzen)
- Middle East Trade Mission 28th Sept – 3rd Oct (visiting Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Dohar).
If you’d like to join a trade mission or would like further information please email
or call 0191 426 6333
- For details of the full current programme of workshops and seminars for manufacturing businesses, covering topics like sales and marketing, skills, finance and UK and international trade email
. Events are open to all manufacturing businesses in Fife.
Sources of Business Advice and Support
- Scottish Manufacturing Advisory Service provides expert advice, one-to-one support, training and events for manufacturing businesses of all sizes throughout Scotland. Click HERE to sign up for its regular newsletter with updates on our products and services that offer help to manufacturing businesses in Scotland.
- Business Gateway provides practical help and advice on setting up, sustaining or growing your business. Its Expert Help Programme provides support for commercially viable businesses that currently fall outwith the Scottish Enterprise criteria for support. This service provides a specific focus on business development such as product or process improvements, environmental or market development and investor readiness. To find out how to apply, call: 01592 858333 or email:
- Fife Council's Supplier Development Programme which provides support to Fife businesses by raising awareness of the opportunities for SMEs from the public sector, increasing business readiness to tender and by assisting SMEs in accessing tender opportunities.
- Scottish Enterprise helps companies to raise their sights and ambition, and offers grants, loans and equity investment to ambitious businesses looking to grow, develop and export.
- Scottish Development International helps Scottish-based companies to develop international trade. Contact a Smart Explorer Adviser to get FREE one-to-one support or access FREE exporting training support up to the value of £1,000 by joining SDI's Smart Explorer skills programme - an ambitious new international trade skills programme designed to increase exporting skills and knowledge amongst Scottish businesses.
- Scottish Engineering provides assistance to Scotland’s manufacturing employers with all aspects of employment.
- Fife Chamber of Commerce offers a wide range of business products and services, whatever type and size of business you are.
- The manufacturers' organisation, EEF, provides advice and support to businesses and lobbies on behalf of the industry.
- Santander UK's Breakthrough Programme seeks to identify the best entrepreneurial companies in the UK and help them achieve their full potential. Over the next few years the company will invest around £200 million in fast-growth small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The programme is aimed at businesses that have advanced well beyond the start-up stage to achieve a turnover of between £500,000 and £10 million per annum while posting growth of 20% or more in turnover, proﬁt or employment.
The following publications, newsletters and articles provide up to date information on current trends and opportunities:
Recent reports by the manufacturers' organisation EEF:
Invest for Growth
Route to Growth
Skills for Growth
A Landscape for the Future of High Value Manufacturing in the UK - a study conducted for the Technology Strategy Board
Aluminium Federation Ltd Market Report December 2012 - January 2013
MakeIt – The Scottish Manufacturing Service’s newsletter
SMEs – How to Grow Your Business with the Ministry Of Defence
A Guide to Off-shore Wind and Oil and Gas Capability
Made in America, Again. Why Manufacturing Will Return to the US
New markets, new ideas: How exporting fosters innovation and growth (UK Trade and Investment)
China Economy: An Update on China’s Economic Policies – October 2011 can be found on the UK Trade and Investment website by clicking here
Components in Electronics – an online magazine providing industry, company, technology and product news